Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Homemade Bladerdeeg * better known as Puff Pastry

I've always wanted to try a puff pastry from scratch but, quite honestly, have been too intimidated to do so. So for my first attempt, I searched for a recipe that looked fairly easy and straight forward. This particular one got very good reviews so I chose it as my starting point.

Bladerdeeg

**********
1 1/2 C. flour
1 C. butter (*I know the pic only shows 1/2 C. but the whole cup's worth made it into the recipe.)
1/2 C. sour cream

Cut butter into flour until it resembles crumbs.



Stir in sour cream. Turn onto a floured board and knead until it just holds together.

Form it into a ball, flatten it just a bit and then wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours to overnight.



Cut dough in half, working with one half at a time while keeping the other half in the refrigerator.



Pound the dough with a heavy rolling pin to make it pliable.


Yield: 2 puff pastry

I know this isn't a 100% traditional puff pastry, but it was easy, it did puff up prettily, and the flavor was sooo good! It didn't puff up in quite the same way a store bought one does but it still puffed none the less. I'm quite happy with it and this will be a keeper recipe. It is now my go-to-guy for puff pastry.


No comments: